2x4 Truss Style Farm Bench

Submitted by Ana White on Thu, 06/06/2019 - 11:38

Make this sturdy and beautiful truss style bench with just 5 2x4s - we make it easy with step by step plans and diagrams.

Also build the matching table plans.

outdoor wood bench farmhouse style

I love that this bench is made from just 5 2x4s.

I love that you can make the matching table from 2x4s.

I love that you can adapt this table and bench set for exterior use.

This project was built by Being Brook. Thank you Brook for working with me on this set.  I hope you enjoyed this plan and stop over and see lots more photos and tips from Brook here.

PS - Brook has a tutorial on the mini serving stands here.

diagram for bench plans dimensions
Dimensions are shown above.

5 – 2x4 @ 8 feet long – cut longest boards first Optional 1x3 under bench supports

Common Materials
2 1/2 inch screws
  • 2 – 2x4 @ 14”
  • 4 – 2x4 @ 15 1/4" – both ends beveled at 10 degrees off square, ends ARE parallel
  • 2 – 2x4 @ 12 1/2" – long point to long point, both ends cut at 10 degrees off square, NOT parallel
  • 1 – 2x4 @ 34”
  • 1 – 2x4 @ 38”
  • 2 – 2x4 @ 13 3/8” (both ends cut at 45 degrees off square, ends ARE parallel)
  • 4 – 2x4 @ 54”
Kreg Jig
Miter Saw
Drill Bit Set

Build two ends as shown above. They are identical. Brook used the Kreg Jig on 1 1/2" setting with 2 1/2" pocket holes, but you could also countersink screws with glue.

Now add the stretchers.

And then the cross supports.

Finally, the seat boards. NOTE: You can leave a small 1/8" gap between boards for water drainage if desired.

Finishing Instructions
Preparation Instructions
Fill all holes with wood filler and let dry. Apply additional coats of wood filler as needed. When wood filler is completely dry, sand the project in the direction of the wood grain with 120 grit sandpaper. Vacuum sanded project to remove sanding residue. Remove all sanding residue on work surfaces as well. Wipe project clean with damp cloth.

It is always recommended to apply a test coat on a hidden area or scrap piece to ensure color evenness and adhesion. Use primer or wood conditioner as needed.
Help Improve This Plan

We apologize if there was an error in this plan. Please help us out and report any errors here.

Comments

luckrish (not verified)

Thu, 04/26/2012 - 12:56

I can't wait to try these! I was literally just thinking about making some benches for my dining room...and then you post these. FABULOUS!

Michelle Caudle (not verified)

Mon, 05/07/2012 - 18:18

I've been wanting a cute, cheap bench for my front yard and this is PERFECT! And since it's made from 2x4's (my hubby's lumber of choice) ...I can get him to build it while I finish my other building projects!!!

KaraPUK (not verified)

Tue, 05/29/2012 - 08:43

This will be my first ever DIY project so please don't laugh at my basic question. I do not have a Kreg Jig so would be using counter sink screw method but I don't know exactly where these go on the first step? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks from not so sunny Scotland!

BeckySmith

Wed, 06/06/2012 - 06:13

I built this bench yesterday and I am so thrilled with how it turned out. I'll post pics as soon as I get the finish on it tomorrow. The only thing I struggled with is how to attach the cross supports. It wasn't a problem so countersink the screws through the top stretcher since it is positioned horizontally but I couldn't figure out a good way to attach the cross support to the bottom stretcher. I ended up drilling through the angled part of the support from the top and into the bottom stretcher. This made sort of an unsightly screw in an odd place. I know the plans suggest using a Kreg jig, which I did for the top and legs but I don't really want the big holes created by the jig on the cross pieces since I will be staining the bench. Any suggestions?

zookeeperjay

Thu, 07/05/2012 - 17:12

I'm so excited about this bench! I saw that I could add a 1x3 for extra support I did not see where I should do that. I need the extra support any suggestions on where it goes?

zookeeperjay

Fri, 07/06/2012 - 09:39

Does the extra support for this bench go lengthwise under the bench? I have 5 teens and one almost teen. Need that extra oomph like fish need water. All the pieces are cut and ready to go! Anxiously waiting for reply. Warmly Jay

In reply to by zookeeperjay

Lady Goats

Fri, 07/06/2012 - 09:59

Hi Jay, I'm really not getting where the extra 1x3 would go, either, if it were me, I would build the bench as instructed, then test to see if you need the supports. It looks really sturdy to me, so you may not need the supports (trust me, I have to worry about extremely obese in laws, and I wouldn't think it would need them). If it turns out that you're worried about the structure, then add the 1x3 where it's needed.