2x4 Truss Style Farm Bench

Submitted by Ana White on Thu, 06/06/2019 - 11:38

Make this sturdy and beautiful truss style bench with just 5 2x4s - we make it easy with step by step plans and diagrams.

Also build the matching table plans.

outdoor wood bench farmhouse style

I love that this bench is made from just 5 2x4s.

I love that you can make the matching table from 2x4s.

I love that you can adapt this table and bench set for exterior use.

This project was built by Being Brook. Thank you Brook for working with me on this set.  I hope you enjoyed this plan and stop over and see lots more photos and tips from Brook here.

PS - Brook has a tutorial on the mini serving stands here.

diagram for bench plans dimensions
Dimensions are shown above.

5 – 2x4 @ 8 feet long – cut longest boards first Optional 1x3 under bench supports

Common Materials
2 1/2 inch screws
  • 2 – 2x4 @ 14”
  • 4 – 2x4 @ 15 1/4" – both ends beveled at 10 degrees off square, ends ARE parallel
  • 2 – 2x4 @ 12 1/2" – long point to long point, both ends cut at 10 degrees off square, NOT parallel
  • 1 – 2x4 @ 34”
  • 1 – 2x4 @ 38”
  • 2 – 2x4 @ 13 3/8” (both ends cut at 45 degrees off square, ends ARE parallel)
  • 4 – 2x4 @ 54”
Kreg Jig
Miter Saw
Drill Bit Set

Build two ends as shown above. They are identical. Brook used the Kreg Jig on 1 1/2" setting with 2 1/2" pocket holes, but you could also countersink screws with glue.

Now add the stretchers.

And then the cross supports.

Finally, the seat boards. NOTE: You can leave a small 1/8" gap between boards for water drainage if desired.

Finishing Instructions
Preparation Instructions
Fill all holes with wood filler and let dry. Apply additional coats of wood filler as needed. When wood filler is completely dry, sand the project in the direction of the wood grain with 120 grit sandpaper. Vacuum sanded project to remove sanding residue. Remove all sanding residue on work surfaces as well. Wipe project clean with damp cloth.

It is always recommended to apply a test coat on a hidden area or scrap piece to ensure color evenness and adhesion. Use primer or wood conditioner as needed.

Comments

Alma (not verified)

Thu, 08/09/2012 - 15:22

I'd love to see some chairs to go with this collection. I made the table the other day and it is beautiful. I was hoping to figure out how to make chairs from this bench, but just can't figure out how to attach a back. Anyone else?

TxDork76

Mon, 04/01/2013 - 14:17

Making this for my friends' porch. It's going well but I'm not sure about the placement for the 1x3 support either. The only place I could figure would be under the top, perpendicular to the boards. Not sure though.

I did run into a problem attaching the cross member on the legs (Step 1). I drilled 1.5" pocket holes but the 2.5" screws poked out a bit so I used 2" screws instead.

eheinze12

Wed, 08/07/2013 - 08:32

I just wanted to ask if I can get the PDF emailed to me? It is giving me an error and I'd love to work on this asap! I am looking to give my entryway a makover:)

Ana White

Wed, 08/07/2013 - 11:32

Here is a temporary solution for the PDF problems
- Go to PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION at the bottom of the plan;
- Copy the URL;
- Go to http://www.web2pdfconvert.com/
- Paste the URL in the window and create a PDF;
- Download the PDF to your computer and give it a proper name;
- And start building…

Melissa Keplinger

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 11:09

Did anybody comment on the fact that the 45 degree supports in the plans don't match the images. The images show them providing support for the middle of the table, while the plans are not providing any useful purpose, and actually will get in the way of a person's legs when they are seated.
I attached them as shown in the images because the extra stability of the middle of the table and the benches is absolutely necessary.
The plans should be updated to reflect this.

lisashortell

Tue, 12/13/2016 - 12:32

Hello! I love this bench and have built it many times modifying it for different needs or styles.... this build I modified the top to 3 2x6's and noticed my benches starting to wobble. I took it part and my top had warped... I didn't add the cross support.... would that help stop the top from twisting? Or at 2x6's too big for the bench base? Any hep is greatly appreciated. I haven't had this issue before.... ? Thank you!!