Flip Top Storage Bench New Plans

Submitted by Ana White on Thu, 10/18/2018 - 15:33

How to build a storage bench with flip top and shelf. Perfect for the entryway with lots of room for shoes, and a hidden storage area for accessories. Free plans from Ana-White.com.

flip top storage bench

flip top storage bench dimensions
dimensions are shown above

2 - 1X4 @ 8 1/4"

2 - 1X2 @ 8 1/4"

2 - 1X12 @ 42 1/2"

1 - 1x4 @ 48"

1 - 1x12 @ 48"

General Instructions

Please read through the entire plan and all comments before beginning this project. It is also advisable to review the Getting Started Section. Take all necessary precautions to build safely and smartly. Work on a clean level surface, free of imperfections or debris. Always use straight boards. Check for square after each step. Always predrill holes before attaching with screws. Use glue with finish nails for a stronger hold. Wipe excess glue off bare wood for stained projects, as dried glue will not take stain. Be safe, have fun, and ask for help if you need it. Good luck!

When I built my bench way back when, I did not even know about pocket holes. But you’ll find building this bench much easier with pocket hole construction. All you will need to do is make two frames for the front and back as shown in diagram.

And then make two frames for sides with the 1x2 legs instead.

Then just attach the four frames together, hiding pocket holes to insides.

Test fit the shelves inside the frame. You want snug, not tight. If you need to, you can trim down shelves. Once the shelves fit right, drill 3/4” pocket holes around all sides and fit into place. Attach with 1 1/4” pocket hole screws and glue.

The top front is just hinged to the top back with narrow profile hinges, installed inside the gap in between the top boards. The easiest way to do this is to position the bench top pieces as if the bench was fully open, and on the exposed inside edges, screw on hinges. Test to make sure bench closes well and adjust if necessary.

Finishing Instructions
Preparation Instructions
Fill all holes with wood filler and let dry. Apply additional coats of wood filler as needed. When wood filler is completely dry, sand the project in the direction of the wood grain with 120 grit sandpaper. Vacuum sanded project to remove sanding residue. Remove all sanding residue on work surfaces as well. Wipe project clean with damp cloth.

It is always recommended to apply a test coat on a hidden area or scrap piece to ensure color evenness and adhesion. Use primer or wood conditioner as needed.
Help Improve This Plan

We apologize if there was an error in this plan. Please help us out and report any errors here.

Comments

Maira (not verified)

Thu, 10/18/2012 - 18:23

Ana, is the bench in the picture 48" wide? The plan calls for 48" wide, but the picture looks longer than that. I want a long bench like what you have in the pic. Thanks.

In reply to by Maira (not verified)

Ana White

Fri, 10/19/2012 - 12:14

Hi Maira, my bench is actually about 5 feet long. I shortened the plans up a little because I wanted to get all of the boards on a 12 1x12. To modify the plans, just add 12" to all of the horizontal boards. We have not structural problems at the 5 foot length, with adults able to sit on the bench without sagging or any issues. Best luck building it! Ana

storchinsky

Thu, 10/18/2012 - 20:49

Congratulations on the book and on making it through the tour! My husband travels a lot for work (he's a Cdn. military chaplain), and he often got frustrated when our girls didn't have much to say when he called. As they get older it has gotten better. We don't usually think of talking on the phone as a skill that our kids need to learn, but it does take some practice, especially when they aren't used to talking to you that way!

And while he has been away a lot, I haven't been away from them for longer than 3 nights. Eleven would be hard even now & my girls are 10 and 7!

I also wanted to say a huge thanks for all you do. I have been following you blog for several years now and in the last year have finally started building. I love it, and would never have considered doing it without your plans and the inspiration I get from the blog and other builders here. My collection of Ana White furniture is growing, and whenever anyone asks me about how I started doing this I tell them that there was this stay-at-home mom up in Alaska who decided to build her own furniture and show others how. She even posts plans for free! How amazing is that? It's not an exageration to say that you have changed the way that I look at my home, and what I put into it. I am no longer limited to what I can find or afford, and can customize things to suit my space. I now have a great new creative hobby that I love. I get a thrill every time I sit on a chair or sleep in a bed that I made! I truly can't thank you enough.

I hope your book does fabulously well and can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

Sherry

Ana White

Fri, 10/19/2012 - 12:30

Hi Sherry! Thank you so much for the encouragement and inspiration! When something is handmade, it means so much more, especially when you make it for you family! I agree! I can't help but be thankful after this trip that I have been able to be with my child all these years - a blessing for sure! We met up with her at the airport last night, and we were fighting over who gets to hold her, sit next to her, hug her! Thank you for the lovely comment! Ana

Christa/Dakota… (not verified)

Fri, 10/19/2012 - 07:32

Ana!
I haven't commented yet on how excited I am about your book and how excited I am FOR YOU! You deserve it! And it is terribly hard to leave the little one. At that age they def are awfully busy for the phone! Hopefully someday you make it closer to me, but I live in the sticks so it will probably be on book tour #3 or something. haha.
Anyway, I too am interested in the bench and am halfway through building the cubbies on pg 33. I noticed the plans were a bit older for the bench so thanks for the update! Can't wait to make it this weekend! :)

THank you thank you thank you! You rock X1000.

Nita (not verified)

Fri, 10/19/2012 - 08:01

Hello Ana

Just wanted to tell you that your book arrived for me, in the UK, today! Like a kid in a candy shop, I can't decide which plan I want, or need, first?! To say I am excited is not an understatement and want to say Thank you for inspiring and giving me confidence through your blog to go out and achieve what IS possible. Nita UK

dmcarwin

Fri, 10/19/2012 - 08:58

I just finished my first project from your book! I still have to paint...then I will do my brag post. So I was flipping through your book, again, and this bench caught my eye, and I was determined to find it on your blog today...and here it is all updated and ready for me to print! Yeah hoo! Thanks Ana!

I am so happy you get to go home soon to your little one, Kids are the purest blessings! You made me cry.