2x4 Outdoor Sofa

Submitted by Ana White on Sat, 03/16/2019 - 13:11

Build your own outdoor sofa with just 11 2x4s.  Ana White plans include step by step diagrams and shopping and cut list.

We also have a plans to convert this sofa to an outdoor sectional, a matching outdoor coffee table plan, and outdoor wood finishing secrets.

outdoor sofa sectional made from 2x4s with blue cushions
outdoor sofa stained chocolate brown with white cushions and matching coffee table

Build your own outdoor sofa!  You'll just need some 2x4s and screws!

Turn your outdoor sofa into a sectional with these plans:

We also share our outdoor wood finishing secrets in this post.

dimensions diagram for outdoor sofa
Dimensions shown above. Recommend: Build to suit cushions

11 - 2x4x10’ (prefer cedar boards)

150 - 2-1/2” to 3" long, self-tapping exterior decking screws  (#8, #9 or #10 will all work)

RECOMMEND: Build to suit cushions.

9 - 2x4 @ 72”  (or cushion width x times 3)

13 - 2x4 @ 25-1/2” (or cushion depth plus 1-1/2")

2 - 2x4 @ 28-1/2” (or cushion depth plus 4-1/2")

Miter Saw

Cut the seat framing boards with compound miter saw or similar.

Screw together with self tapping screws.

Now for the arms.

Cut the boards.

Attach longer 2x4 to two of the shorter 2x4s with screws.

Screw together with screws.

Screw together with screws, also attach to board from step 3.

Attach seat boards to top of seat frame with 2-3/4" screws.

Screw back piece at an angle into the arms with 2-3/4" screws.  You can also use pocket holes.

Some builders add a middle row to the back/sides to help keep cushions in line.

Help Improve This Plan

We apologize if there was an error in this plan. Please help us out and report any errors here.

Comments

oc man

Wed, 09/04/2019 - 18:36

Hi

That's exactly I was thinking about as there is not much info provided for step 5. Even if we are using pocket holes, that is a lot of weight for 2x4s to lift (considering if 3 people are actually sitting on this sofa)

Hope to get some assistance on this topic

crazyascarl

Sun, 09/29/2019 - 10:32

Does anybody have a feedback on the comfort of having the seat completely flat and the back completely vertical?  I feel that most couches have a slight angle to both the seat and the back...  Obviously that makes construction more difficult, but if I'm going to spend time/money on a project I want to make sure it's comfy.

Thanks!

aliasak

Sun, 01/12/2020 - 09:24

Hello, I want to build this but with a slant back.  Has anyone tried this?  I made the simple outdoor furniture (loveseat and two chairs) many years ago and I love the slanted back.  Should I adjust the depth of the overall plan and add a cleat to attach vertical boards to create a slanted back?  Any recommendations are appreciated!

Pcreson

Wed, 03/25/2020 - 07:10

Why do I need to buy 10ft length's?

Can I get away with 8th lengths?

My local store only carries 8ft and 12ft long boards.

ralfey

Wed, 04/01/2020 - 09:39

I have 24.75 cushions, should I build this to 26.25” instead of 25.5”?

GoDevils

Sat, 04/11/2020 - 08:05

My kids (10 and 13) had a great time building this set while on lockdown at home. We painted it all white. Now the challenge is getting cushions. We live in Arizona, so the sun destroys most material that is outside. I will likely purchase cushions that are made from Sunbrella material. Very expensive, but they will last longer.

lknolan2

Sat, 04/18/2020 - 20:13

Loved this plan! Super easy to follow and easy on the wallet. Only complaint is the amount of waste, but not really much could be done about that.