Build a Bigger Kids Picnic Table Plans

Submitted by Ana White on Fri, 05/10/2019 - 13:12

Our favorite kids picnic table! Designed to fit bigger kids, this super sturdy picnic table is big enough to sit a small adult too! Super easy to build design has been built hundreds of times already! Build photo submitted by Fethiye

kids picnic table plans

This table is a little taller than our preschool picnic table plan https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/preschool-picnic-table and made a little tougher – out of 2x boards instead of 1x boards. It's super easy and fun to make.

And like all plans that I design, careful consideration was made on ease of building AND conservation of materials. For example, the top is exactly two 2×6 boards. Less waste = less supplies = less money! Gotta save you money wherever we can!

diy kids picnic table
Dimensions are shown for kids picnic table plans

2 – 2×6 Boards, 8′ Long

6 – 2×4 Boards, 8′ Long

2 1/2″ Screws or Bolts (bolts will need to be at least 3″ long and you will need washers and nuts)

4 – 2×6 @ 48″ (Tabletop)

2 – 2×4 @ 23 1/2″ (Tabletop Supports)

4 – 2×4 @ 26″ (Legs, DO NOT CUT UNTIL REVIEWING THE ANGLES)

2 – 2×4 @ 40 1/2″ (Seat Supports)

1 – 2×4 @ 37″ (Bottom Support)

4 – 2×4 @ 48″ (Seat Boards)

Hammer
Kreg Jig
General Instructions

Work on a clean level surface. Take a square of your project after each step. Predrill and countersink your screw holes. Use proper safety precautions and equipment.

Tabletop. Begin by cutting your tabletop supports (shown above in blue) as shown above. You can either fasten through the tabletop with screws or you can predrill through the underside of the supports into the underside of the tabletop boards. Leave a 1/2″ gap between the tabletop boards. Use glue and 2 1/2″ screws when fastening through the top.

Legs. Cut your legs as shown above, with a 30 degree angle off square on both ends. Then use 2 1/2″ screws to fasten the legs to the tabletop supports. You could also use bolts for a stronger table.

Seat Supports. Cut the ends of your seat supports as shown above. The angle is 45 degrees. Then fasten the seat supports to the legs as shown above.

TIP: cut two blocks 6-1/2” long and use as spacers to set the seat supports- there is 6-1/2 inches between the tabletop support and seat support.

Use a level on the seat supports to make sure you are fastening the seat supports level to the tabletop. Use 2 1/2″ screws and glue. If you fasten from the inside, you can hide your screw holes.

Bottom Support. Take a square of your table by measuring from the opposite tips of the legs. If the diagonals do not match, from the longer diagonal, push the opposite ends together until the diagonals match. Fasten your support in place as shown above. Use 2 1/2″ screws.

Finishing. Fill your screw holes and sand and finish as desired.

Comments

thesimplepoppy (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 07:54

I haven't commented before, but I just wanted to say that you should blog enough to keep you and your readers happy, but not so much that your family is cranky! It's totally awesome you have so much material, but everyone loves your blog so much, they won't mind if you only blog a few times a week! We'll have to learn to be patient:) On a side note, I do believe I've printed out at least half of your plans and our basement is awash in wood!

Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:01

I totally agree with thesimplepoppy -- one post per day is more than enough. I'd be stoked with four a week, one of which being a shout out post from all the pics you get. You don't have to post every completed project (though of course folks like that), Just my two cents. I think everyone would agree that we'd rather see you cut back & find your balance than burn out and stop completely.

Katy Frame (Ka… (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:08

What you could do is set aside some time one day and write up a weeks worth of posts, and schedule them to go up every day. This way technically you ARE blogging every day, but you aren't giving up time with your family every day. :)

SherryQ (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:14

{HUGS} to you, Momma - I am SURE that you are a super momma - you are SO incredibly creative and generous! :)

Cindy (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:14

Ana, how about posting only on weekdays? A lot of the bloggers I read do not post on weekends.

Also, from one mom to another: Your daughter's comments may have some basis in reality, but she is also getting to the age where she would be saying things like that no matter what. When one of my kiddos was younger, he hurt my feelings quite often like that. Once he packed his stuff and declared that he was moving to an orphanage. He's 8 now and knows he has the best mama. :)

xo

Karch (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:15

I just found your blog and have already been inspired, but can understand that family has to come first...Love the plans so far and look forward to seeing more in the future ;)

Becbud (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:27

I've never commented before either, but just wanted to say "thanks" for your awesome site. I can't wait to get started, on my farmhouse table and benches, but have to wait until later in April. That being said...family is #1, and we can certainly survive on 1 post a day. I've heard comments from my kids like that before, and decided then, that during naptime or after their bedtime is better for those activities. THANKS for setting the right example for us!

Rebecca (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:28

Love your thoughts on blogging & very much relate. I took a break from my blog, then posted randomly and and am rethinking the whole thing again. I enjoy writing but don't want it to take from my life. Thank you for sharing your plans with us and thank your family for sharing you with us. I/we haven't built anything yet but I have several items I want to make for our home.