Build a Bigger Kids Picnic Table Plans

Submitted by Ana White on Fri, 05/10/2019 - 13:12

Our favorite kids picnic table! Designed to fit bigger kids, this super sturdy picnic table is big enough to sit a small adult too! Super easy to build design has been built hundreds of times already! Build photo submitted by Fethiye

kids picnic table plans

This table is a little taller than our preschool picnic table plan https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/preschool-picnic-table and made a little tougher – out of 2x boards instead of 1x boards. It's super easy and fun to make.

And like all plans that I design, careful consideration was made on ease of building AND conservation of materials. For example, the top is exactly two 2×6 boards. Less waste = less supplies = less money! Gotta save you money wherever we can!

diy kids picnic table
Dimensions are shown for kids picnic table plans

2 – 2×6 Boards, 8′ Long

6 – 2×4 Boards, 8′ Long

2 1/2″ Screws or Bolts (bolts will need to be at least 3″ long and you will need washers and nuts)

4 – 2×6 @ 48″ (Tabletop)

2 – 2×4 @ 23 1/2″ (Tabletop Supports)

4 – 2×4 @ 26″ (Legs, DO NOT CUT UNTIL REVIEWING THE ANGLES)

2 – 2×4 @ 40 1/2″ (Seat Supports)

1 – 2×4 @ 37″ (Bottom Support)

4 – 2×4 @ 48″ (Seat Boards)

Hammer
Kreg Jig
General Instructions

Work on a clean level surface. Take a square of your project after each step. Predrill and countersink your screw holes. Use proper safety precautions and equipment.

Tabletop. Begin by cutting your tabletop supports (shown above in blue) as shown above. You can either fasten through the tabletop with screws or you can predrill through the underside of the supports into the underside of the tabletop boards. Leave a 1/2″ gap between the tabletop boards. Use glue and 2 1/2″ screws when fastening through the top.

Legs. Cut your legs as shown above, with a 30 degree angle off square on both ends. Then use 2 1/2″ screws to fasten the legs to the tabletop supports. You could also use bolts for a stronger table.

Seat Supports. Cut the ends of your seat supports as shown above. The angle is 45 degrees. Then fasten the seat supports to the legs as shown above.

TIP: cut two blocks 6-1/2” long and use as spacers to set the seat supports- there is 6-1/2 inches between the tabletop support and seat support.

Use a level on the seat supports to make sure you are fastening the seat supports level to the tabletop. Use 2 1/2″ screws and glue. If you fasten from the inside, you can hide your screw holes.

Bottom Support. Take a square of your table by measuring from the opposite tips of the legs. If the diagonals do not match, from the longer diagonal, push the opposite ends together until the diagonals match. Fasten your support in place as shown above. Use 2 1/2″ screws.

Finishing. Fill your screw holes and sand and finish as desired.

Comments

The Frugal Designer (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:29

Thank you so much Ana, for posting about my Finishing School! I hope I can be of service to your readers for finishing techniques. As you know from my emails, I fee exactly like you do and know that sometimes family stuff can suffer when we choose to do something for ourselves. I know there is a balance but it is awfully hard to find it when you are a person who commits to something 100%. You will find a proper balance that works for you and your little girl, I am sure of it! Xx Rayan

gretchen (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:34

You must have been reading my mind with the big kid's picnic table...I was worried my boys would quickly outgrow the toddler one, thanks!
In all our roles of life I think it's a constant challenge of finding the balance...good luck to us all with that one and thank you for sharing your time and encouragement with us.

Melanie (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:46

I love your blog even more knowing you are a better mommy at the same time!

Thanks for wonderful inspiring plans!

KristenA (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 08:54

I think you are doing a fabulous job! I work out of the home and away from my babies and I know that I wish I had more time in the world to be with them. We all can wait for the plans.. you spend time with your little girl and enjoy her childhood! I always say that theres gonna come a time when my little girl wont want to be with me, so I better soak it all in now! Great job with juggling work and being a mom... youre truly superwoman!

-KristenA (friends with you on FB!)

Grover (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 09:05

Ana,

Thank you so much for posting about my Women in Woodworking Series. I hope that I can help anyone who has an interest in woodworking. Thanks again..

Don't you love it when kids make comments that put you in your place. I know mine son has done that several times.

Shannon (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 09:21

Honestly, you post more than any other blog I read. You could easily get away with just a few times a week. I'm just as excited to see Bragging Board photos as I am new plans, btw.
Find a balance that works for you!
We'll all still be here. :)
Love the guest bloggers and finishing school!

Chrissy @ Home… (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 09:24

Good for you! There are so many mommy bloggers and we all need to be reminded what comes first. You have an awesome blog and it will probably be even better if you post less. Congrats on everything!

Arlee (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 09:29

Good for you - margin and boundaries are good things and no one will fault you for focusing on your family. One post a day is plenty and I would also suggest that you just post on weekdays. You wouldn't be letting anyone down - you give us so much already! Thank you!

Twill Jill (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 09:51

Good for you for your motherly insight! I sometimes worry I don't post often enough on my sewing blog...but then I remember why. It doesn't do much good to spend my whole life writing about what I make if I never take the time to go places and meet people where I can acutally show the stuff off. And fifty years from now will your daughter brag about all the plans you shared with the blogosphere...or will she brag about the things you built WITH her and the things you taught her? That's the key thing to keep in mind. Your post was a great reminder for us all about what's really important!

Jen @ Sunshine… (not verified)

Thu, 04/01/2010 - 09:57

Awesome Ana! The plans and you! I'm ready to make one a little bigger, so this is just perfect. Need to post my completed "little" one. One a day is perfect. The blogs I love to read have one a day at a predictable time and are real people.

Your daughter's comment stung and probably was only 50% truth (just like "The spider was as big as a bus, Mommy!") but if it got you to stop and take care of you, then good job Grace. :)